Tuesday, May 10, 2011

You Bet I Would # 8


Faye Dunaway achieved instant fame in 1967 for her portrayal of the 20s outlaw Bonnie Parker opposite Warren Beatty's Clyde Barrow in Arthur Penn's BONNIE AND CLYDE. The blonde actress from Florida was the antithesis of the all-American girl. A machine on a protruding hip said sex. She seemed to have appeared on the scene out of nowhere, however I saw a younger Faye on Groucho Marx's YOU BET YOUR LIFE. The year must have been 1959. She was only 18. Her partner was a military man, but the budding actress answered the questions with a cobra snapping at a tone-deaf swami's hand.

I was 7 at the time.

Too young for anything other than love.

I might have met her in a Boston nightclub in 1976. She was married to the harp player of the J Geils Band. I was friendly with the owner. The club was gay. He invited me to sit at his table. The blonde looked very familiar. Movie star beautiful. I was stunned by her allure. Not a word issued from my mouth. The owner laughed at my paralysis. 'Faye' left to meet her husband. I deserted Boston for New York the following week.

I loved her in BARFLY.

She was a goddess ruined by Hollywood.

No comments: