Sunday, February 26, 2017

89th Academy Awards

Everyone in the Arts dreams about the Oscars.

Actors, directors, producers, actresses, writers, musicians, make-up artists, cinematographers, costumers et al.

I know I'm leaving out someone, but who doesn't in an Academy Awards acceptance speech.

Even I once held such dreams, but tonight I'll be watching the Boston Celtics versus Detroit. I have no dreams any more. Not of standing at that gloried dais in Los Angeles.

I only went to the cinema once last year, but that doesn't exclude my predicting the winners from having only seen the trailers and posters, so and the winners are.

Best Visual Effects

Deepwater Horizon – Craig Hammack, Jason Snell, Jason Billington, and Burt Dalton

I like Mark Wahlberg. He comes from Boston.

Best Film Editing

I support all Science Fiction movies

Best Costume Design

Jackie – Madeline Fontaine

Even though Nathalie Portman doesn't look a thing like Jackie.

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

A Man Called Ove – Eva von Bahr and Love Larson

I like their names.

Best Cinematography

Arrival – Bradford Young

Space movies rule and fuck LA LA LAND

Best Production Design

Arrival – Patrice Vermette and Paul Hotte

I'm all in.

Best Sound Mixing

Arrival – Sylvain Bellemare

I love French people.

Best Documentary – Short Subject

The White Helmets – Orlando von Einsiedel and Joanna Natasegara

Stop the Endless War.

Best Documentary – Feature

I Am Not Your Negro – Raoul Peck, Rémi Grellety, and Hébert Peck

We worship the righteous dead.

Best Foreign Language Film

Tanna (Australia) in Nauvhal – Martin Butler and Bentley Dean I have been to Melansia.

Best Animated Feature Film

The Red Turtle – Michaël Dudok de Wit and Toshio Suzuki

Anyone but Disney.

Best Adapted Screenplay

Hidden Figures – Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi from Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly

I was a Math Major at University.

Best Original Screenplay

20th Century Women – Mike Mills

This quirky film with weird dancing scene at punk clubs was the only Oscar nominee I saw in 2016

Best Supporting Actress

Naomie Harris – Moonlight as Paula

She has kind eyes.

Best Supporting Actor

Jeff Bridges – Hell or High Water as Marcus Hamilton

I would love to see this veteran win one.

Best Actress

Isabelle Huppert – Elle as Michèle Leblanc

Viva La France.

Best Actor

Casey Affleck – Manchester by the Sea as Lee Chandler

A shout out for Falmouth, Mass.

Best Director

Denis Villeneuve – Arrival

De La Belle Province - Quebec.

And finally the moment we have bee waiting for.

Best Picture of 2016

Moonlight – Adele Romanski, Dede Gardner, and Jeremy Kleiner

Because it's always good to recognize the best.

No comments: