Saturday, December 26, 2015

Boxing Day

Boxing Day is a strictly English holiday dating back to the Middle Ages when the lower class received hand-outs from their feudal overlords.

In early capitalist era customers dropped coins for the workers into a shop's clay pot and on December 26 the high-class owners would dole out the year's bonus to their underpaid workers, however whenever I ask Brits about Boxing Day's origins they say it's the day after Christmas on which nothing is open.

This was a fact, which I learned traveling from Portsmouth to London on Boxing Day 1985.

The single 2nd Class train car was shared by me and five National Front lager louts. The ride had all the remaking of the Zombie film 28 DAYS LATER soundtracked by the Jam's hit DOWN IN THE TUBE AT MIDNIGHT.

Desolation. Rain. Drunks. Violence.

I first felt a fist, and then a kick
I could now smell their breath
They smelt of pubs and wormwood scrubs
And too many right wing meetings
My life swam around me
It took a look and drowned me in its own existence
The smell of brown leather
It blended in with the weather
It filled my eyes, ears, nose and mouth
It blocked all my senses
Couldnt see, hear, speak any longer
And I'm down in the tube station at midnight
I said I was down in the tube station at midnight - THE JAM

Luckily the skinheads only rode two stops up the line.

Boxing Day 2006 I was less fortunate and an altercation on my soi earned me a set of Panda eyes.

This year I stayed cool.

No fights.

At least not yet.

But later I'll be headed down the 169.

It's a bar made for love, not war.

ps if you want to hear DOWN IN THE TUBE AT MIDNIGHT, please go to the following URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf4EFDGP4yg

No comments: