Saturday, February 17, 2018

Old Friends Never Fade Away

A good college friend re-connected me via Facebook.

We hadn't seen each other in a good 35 years. I remembered our time together at Boston College like it was two weeks ago and wrote him the following message to rekindle the soul connection.

"hank, good to hear from you. I'm living fort greene nyc. I was telling someone just the other night how we used to drive our checker cabs into the combat zone at 1:30 for last call. A long-necked beer and that band in the corner; organ, bass, and drum. Naked girl on stage. Last call. Another beer and then back into the taxi to drive a stripper home. We'd meet back at 15 malbert road for a pizza, more beer, then play table hockey before crashing on the sofas.

"those were the nights." he answered.

And that was the truth.

I've had a good life.

Which I owe to my friends like Hank.

No comments: