Sunday, June 13, 2021

Donnie Ward 1270

In 1971 I drove taxi to pay for my college education. The Boston Cab Company had its garage on 72 Kilmarnock St. The split was 50/50 for booking over $100 in a night. Tips added another $10 to the equation. Average income for a family of four was $10,000. I wasn't rich, but I had buying power and one summer night I picked up a drunk man at Fenway Park. "$10 if you drive me to the 1270." "That's a gay bar." I was a radical. We didn't call anyone 'fags' or 'queers'. "And?" He introduced himself as Bruce. His mustache was thicker than the shaved tail of a Lipizzaner stallion. "And nothing." I had seen his type around Boston. 1971 was the height of the Sexual Revolution. All that mattered was getting off. "Nothing. I know your type. You think you're straight, but you look at the girls in this town and think that there's nothing you want to fuck." "Wrong." I was a stud. "Then you have no problem coming into the bar. I'll get you a girl as long as you don't say you're straight. The fag hags love men on the razor's edge. Drinks are on me. The Red Sox won in the 9th." I parked the taxi in front of the bar. Bruce and I entered without paying the $2 cover. Beers were a dollar. The DJ was playing Sly's SEX MACHINE. A black boy came up to me. "I've never seen you before." He was the handsomest man in the world. "I'm new." "You ever dance with a man?" "No." "I won't bite." And he never did. Donnie Ward was a good friend and so was Bruce. They respected straights who respected gays. "

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi
I saw your picture of Donnie Ward and I cried...a flood of memories of the 1270 in the 1970's came rushing back. Thank you so much for posting it. I'd love to get in touch with or get any information about Bruce S as well. Bruce & I twirled many a night away at the 12. he of course was the better dancer than I. I'm in Hong Kong these days..so many Boston memories..
Thanks
Doug