Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Dan Hicks RIP

Dan Hicks passed from this earth the other day.

in 1967 the songwriter/guitarist/vocalist formed Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks with David LaFlamme later of It's A Beautiful Day, two female back-up singers and another guitarist to steady the bassline. Sherry Snow and Christine Gancher doubled on percussion. I loved this band and especially their great classic SCARED MYSELF.

Dan Hicks bailed on the fame and fortune trip in 1973 saying according to wikipedia, "I didn't want to be a bandleader anymore. It was a load and a load I didn't want. I'm basically a loner... I like singing and stuff, but I didn't necessarily want to be a bandleader. The thing had turned into a collective sort of thing – democracy, vote on this, do that. I conceived the thing. They wouldn't be there if it wasn't for me. My role as leader started diminishing, but it was my fault because I let it happen; I cared less as the thing went on."

I'm a big fan of apathy.

And even a bigger fan of Dan Hicks

To listen to SCARED MYSELF, please go to the following URL;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0h6FBbw8jY

ps the girls in the band were hot.

We could say that back then.

And for good reasons.

Because it was the truth.

No comments: