Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bad Girl Joni

Last week The LA Times published an interview with Joni Mitchell in which the famed artist lambasted Bob Dylan as a plagiarist. "His name and voice are fake. Everything about Bob is a deception. We are like night and day, he and I." Strong words from the singer. In the 60s Bob Dylan was our god. He redefined the folk world by going electric at the Newport Folk Festival. He was a man. Joni was a woman and we were banned from liking her. It was a sign of weakness. Times changed and in 1998 I was invited to a Bob Dylan - Joni Mitchell concert at Madison Square Garden. Bob was the headliner. Our seats were to the side of the stage. The SONY executives in our section extolled Bob was a god. I had once thought the same as them, but I had come to see Joni Mitchell. I was no longer scared of showing my sensitive side. I applauded her every song and at the end of her performance I announced to the execs that I was leaving. "What about Bob?" One astounded promo VP asked, as if I were a heretic. "What about him?" I walked out of Bob Dylan. I'd never do that to Joni. Love her, but Bob is only Bob on his records.

No comments: