Americans are not renown for their adventurous palate. Most of the country survives on fast food; morning, noon, and night with potato chips in between meals washed down by corn-syrup sodas. Hamburgers and fries are this nation's favorite food, but America's # 1 was only # 6 on the cnngo.com ie CNN's online life site.
Pop corn at 50 was beat out by America's fastest fast good potato chips.
The only times I eat chips is from someone else's bag. it's the only time that they taste good.
Ketchup scores even higher.
No mention of hot dogs, fried clams, Italian sandwiches, hummus or apple pie.
Today I had a croissant for breakfast, a cheeseburger and root beer for lunch, cherries and melon in the afternoon, and I'm looking at pulled BBQ pork, brown rice, and string beans for dinner washed down by hard cider.
Last month I flew west to Thailand. 25 hours of airplane food and then I ordered # 1 on the list.
Poo massaman curry - curried crab
Nothing better unless you're so hungry than anything tastes good.
Even potato chips.
Here's the rest of the list from www.cnngo.com
50. Buttered popcorn, United States
49. Masala dosa, India - crispy, rice-batter crepe encases a spicy mix of mashed potato, which is then dipped in coconut chutney, pickles, tomato-and-lentil-based sauces and other condiments
48. Potato chips, United States
47. Seafood paella, Spain
46. Som tam, Thailand - pound garlic and chilies with a mortar and pestle. Toss in tamarind juice, fish sauce, peanuts, dried shrimp, tomatoes, lime juice, sugar cane paste, string beans and a handful of grated green papaya.
45. Chicken rice, Singapore - steamed or boiled chicken is served atop fragrant oily rice, with sliced cucumber as the token vegetable
44. Poutine, Canada - French fries smothered in cheese curds and brown gravy
43. Tacos, Mexico
42. Buttered toast with Marmite, Britain
41. Stinky tofu, Southeast Asia
40. Marzipan, Germany
39. Ketchup, United States
38. French toast, Hong Kong
37. Chicken parm, Australia
36. Texas barbecue pork, United States
35. Chili crab, Singapore
34. Maple syrup, Canada
33. Fish ‘n’ chips, Britain
32. Ankimo, Japan - a chunk of monkfish liver with a little grated daikon on the side
31. Parma ham, Italy
30. Goi cuon (summer roll), Vietnam
29. Ohmi-gyu beef steak, Japan
28. Pho, Vietnam - a broth, fresh rice noodles, a few herbs and usually chicken or beef
27. Montreal-style smoked meat, Canada
26. Fajitas, Mexico
25. Butter garlic crab, India
24. Champ, Ireland - mashed potato with spring onions, butter, salt and pepper
23. Lasagna, Italy
22. Brownie and vanilla ice cream, global
21. Croissant, France
20. Arepas, Venezuela - a corn-dough patty topped with cheese, shredded chicken, crisped pork skin, perico, beef, tomato, avocado
19. Nam tok moo, Thailand - grilled pork combined with lemon juice, green onions, chili, mint sprigs, fish sauce and toasted rice
18. Kebab, Iran
17. Lobster, global
16. Egg tart, Hong Kong
15. Kalua pig, United States
14. Donuts, United States
13. Corn on the cob, global
12. Shepherd’s pie, Britain
11. Rendang, Indonesia - beef slowly simmered with coconut milk and a mixture of lemongrass, galangal, garlic, turmeric, ginger and chilies
10. Chicken muamba, Gabon - chicken, hot chili, garlic, tomato, pepper, salt, okra and palm butter
9. Ice cream, United States
8. Tom yum goong, Thailand - soup with shrimp, mushrooms, tomatoes, lemongrass, galangal and kaffir lime leaves in coconut milk and cream.
7. Penang Assam Laksa, Malaysia - Poached, flaked mackerel, tamarind, chili, mint, lemongrass, onion, pineapple in a broth
6. Hamburger, Germany
5. Peking duck, China
4. Sushi, Japan
3. Chocolate, Mexico
2. Neapolitan pizza, Italy
1. Massaman curry, Thailand
Remember it's CNN's list not mine.
My # 1 choice is beer.
The colder the better.