Saturday, December 5, 2020

Oh Poor Babylon

This month I've had a number of opportunities to pass through Times Square. Each time I'm shocked by the gross commercialization of an infamous sex entrepot. Go-Go bars have been replaced by Starbucks. Old movie theaters are shopping malls for uniform fashion and tawdry clip joints have been replaced by mainstream eateries serving GMO food. The hordes of tourists flash selfies of themselves surrounded by a blitz of neon billboard commanding them to spend more money on worthless products.

I walk through the old Doo-Wop without my glasses. My myopia transforms the shopping mall atmosphere into a blur. Nothing of value exists here anymore, but like the ruins of Rome I can remember the bad old days.

I miss them almost as much as I miss my youth.

And Clover.

She was special too.

No comments: