Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Wonderful World of Yesteryear


www.2bangkok.com published this color photo on their website. The caption said 'Chonburi'. I have pinpointed its location to Wongamat Beach in Naklua. If only it was like that now. The problem was only few people could foresee the future and one of them was Mr. McGuire in the film THE GRADUATE.

Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you - just one word.
Ben: Yes sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Ben: Yes I am.
Mr. McGuire: 'Plastics.'
Ben: Exactly how do you mean?
Mr. McGuire: There's a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?
Ben: Yes I will.

There was no plastic bottles in 1967.

There are billions now.

And some of them end up on Wongamat Beach every tide. Plastic refuse lines Jomtien too. Any time I go their with my son Fenway I pick up all the trash. It's a Sisyphean task. His beautiful mother thinks that I'm crazy. At least he'll see the beach the way it used to be before plastic. Nothing but sand.

No comments: