Sunday, December 11, 2022

New York Desolation - Poem November 30 1976

A last kiss through cold steel bars
Accompany your parting glance
Our worlds, met and joined
Drift away in this final act
Your steps echo off tunnel walls
Becoming your last trace
And they too vanish under the roar
Of the subway that gives you escape
In that moment I call out desperate
) You don't turn around and I leave the station
On Lexington Avenue the pre-dawn light takes your place
You go to your empty bed and sleep
Pretty boys on 53rd and 3rd greet me
Yawns say hello too
I ignore both
Dwelling in the past
Remembering long-lost seconds we shared at dawn
Once this pain would have crippled me
Today the agony makes my soul steel
I suppose if I wasn't so tired
I might even have cried
Only my soul has long been bankrupt
And the morning haze blocks out the sun
That cursed sun
It's no friend of mine
Nothing is now
Nothing but pain

No comments: