Tuesday, May 9, 2023

April 24, 1981 - Key West - Journal Entry

Only another three days in Key west. My strength has returned, mostly because I haven't been drinking so heavily and stopped snorting cocaine. Drink and coke were my basic diet while I was working at the Jefferson Theater. Right now I'm sitting on the end of a wharf, watching the sun set into the Gulf Stream . It's flattening as it approaches the horizon. A hippie's flute floats over the distance from Mallory's Pier, where everyone comes to watching the demise of the day's sun like they were extra's in a Thomas McGuane novel.

I shouldn't be so dismissive of the hoi polloi. I am no one and recognize that I am no one.We are all no one's together. The breeze is unbelievably balmy. Wispy clouds are polished silver by the dying rays. Night is coming fast. I am alone. Behind me the stars are popping from the gathering black. I wait for all light to cease, then I go into town.

Last night I ran into Tina and Hiram at the supermarket. I was with Giuliana and Alice. I didn't recognize the star of Fellini's SATYRICON. He looked excessively healthy. He had stopped doing blow. Tina is excessively pregnant. We were mutually surprised to see each other, since we hadn't seen each other since September, when they were living in 256 East 10th Street. One floor above me. They had left to act on a film in Jamaica.

"We were talking about you the other day." The movie star pointed to his wife.

"I was telling how we broke into your apartment with me squeezing under the window gate. I couldn't do that now," she said patting her belly. "Hiram and I are having a baby."

"So I see." I introduced them to Alice and her mother. Guiliana was star struck as would have been any Italian who had met a Fellini star. Alice just thought he was handsome, which was the truth. one of the most handsome men I had ever seen. "How was Jamaica?"

"A war broke out after Seavey won. Manley's gunman from Frenchtown refused to accept the results. "But why don't you come over and we'll talk later."

I went off with my friends to Hilton Haven road. I read a book and planned on meeting Hiram tomorrow. Gianca and I watched TV. He lies on the couch and I rest on the floor with a pillow under my head. Comfortable and sleep came faster than a tropical sunset.

Softer than soft A Key West breeze Carrying the breath of the sea Through the palms To a milk box On which I sit Watching Apollo finish his day's race With the Sun A peace, a crazy peace, touches my soul Creating a Satori state My senses cocaine dead rise from the grave The clouds catch fire Dusk shadows stretch down Duvall From the East Dusk turning to night On the Gulf Stream Soon it will be night.

No comments: