Sunday, October 4, 2009

More Bad Math


Wife # 2 called from Thailand. I'm sitting at Frank's Bar on Fulton. the football game on the tiny TV is a distraction along with Rosa the svelte Vietnamese homegirl. I tell everyone to be quiet before I answer the phone. They know my story and concentrate on their drinks.

"Mai mii daeng." Wife # 2 is broke.

"I'll head down to Western Union." Money goes fast with babies and I'm supporting two families like I was an NGO.

"If you not want go. Not go. I mother. I take care babies."

"Hoop barg, tilat." Telling a woman to shut up is never a good idea unless they want money and are 9000 miles distant. "I'm going."

I hung up and signaled everyone at Frank's to resume their conversations. Most of it is about Brooke Shields selling eyeglass lengthener.

"it no good for you and you get raccoon eyes." One elderly lady laughed, but Rosa checked the mirror for the length on hers. Beauty is a beast and no math will tame its soul.

No comments: