Monday, March 29, 2010

No Fear of Flying


Witches were fearsome creatures in my youth. They consorted with Satan and seduced the souls of pure men. I must have met a score of the wanton succubus in my 20s. My faith wavered under the flames of their desire. The want for wealth weakened with their every caress. Sex was their reward and their punishment was celibacy. I've gone four months without a woman's touch and Mam, my wife, cursed me as I caught the bus from Jomtien to the Bangkok Airport.

"I never want see you again."

And her curse was effective.

Such is the power of an angry woman.

I've spoken with her every day. She calls to have me listen to my son, Superstar Fenway. My plans to return to Thailand have been crushed every month. Sales fall through with regularity. No one is buying diamonds. Least not my friends and clients, so I remained trapped in New York, far from my son. But I know my magic can be stronger than a woman's curse.

I've fought Mrs. Adorno's curse. She said that I would never have sex again. The old bruja was right for several years. In the end I had to ask her forgiveness and she gave it with a smile. We had been neighbors for over 20 years.

"You suffer enough." The wiry 4-3 Puerto Rican hated my throwing out a Spanish girlfriend. I had my reasons. Mrs. Adorno hadn't wanted to hear them in the past and neither had she asked for any excuses at the moment she accepted my contrition. I suppose Mam will have to forgive me too.

It's a word not many Thais know.

อภัย ; ให้อภัย
à-pai ; hâi à-pai

Not many farangs know the word in their language too.

Forgiving is easy, it's the forgetting that is hard.

Especially for witches.

No comments: