Wednesday, August 11, 2010

CENTURION / 2010


Latin was a required language for the top classes of Xaverian Brothers High SChool during the 60s. The first ancient words learned by freshmen were 'amo, amas, amat' and 'agricola'.The former was the verb to love and the latter meant farmer which was one of the few male nouns with a female ending. My teacher Brother Bede had a stutter. Same as me and he favored my annunciation over those of more glib tongues. I was a solid B- student under his tutelage. An A might have been possible with a little more application, however I suffered an incurable tendency to daydream, which wasn't helpled by the map of the Roman Empire at the back of the LATIN I textbook.

Legions conquered the Etruscans, Carthagenians, and Greeks. Soldiers were catapulted to power with victory. Caesar ruled Rome with hope for an eternal republic. "Et Tu, Brutus." sent him to the grave. Marcus Antony and Cleopatra were brought to life by Richard Burton and Liz Taylor. Almost everyone in the world knows to show the downward thumb to the defeated. Rome lived through costume epics and this year the movie CENTURION has captured the fall of the British frontier.

Picts overrunning the borders.

Solid acting with blood and mayhem.

Magic too.

A simple plot but worth a watch.

To check out CENTUTION go to the following URL

http://www.fastpasstv.com/movies/centurion-2010/

veni vidi vici - I came, I saw, I conquered
(Julius Caesar's report of victory in 47 B.C. over Pharnaces, king of Pontus)

My preference is more veni vidi ivi - I came, I saw, I went.

Pacem ad infinitum.

No comments: