Thursday, February 2, 2017

Isiah Thomas - MVP For The Boston Celtics

The Boston Celtics have been my team since the 1950s. I would lay in my bed and listen to the play-by-play radio broadcasts from Boston Garden. Johnny Most announced the game and his raspy voice transported a six year-old a hundred miles to the south. In my mind I saw Bill Russell, the Jones Boys, Tommie Heinsohn, Bob Cousy and the rest of the championship teams.

They were my heroes and in 1974 I was lucky enough to be driving taxi in Boston to support myself through college. That year the Boston Celtics were the best team in the NBA. I loved John Havilcek, Dave Cowans, Don Chaney, Paul Silas, Jo Jo White et al.

The 1980s was the Larry Bird era and we went back to the Finals with the Big Three of Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kevin Garnett complemented by the QB point guard Rajon Rondo.

Two were traded to Brooklyn for a bucket of future draft picks and the team started to show promise, but nothing gelled until the arrival of #4 Isiah Thomas.

Holy Shit.

# 4 can play.

Last night he scored 44 points against a taller and tougher Toronto team to become the 2nd best in the East.

This weekend is the all-star.

And Mr. 4th Quarter wasn't a starter.

Then again neither was Russell Westbrook.

I'm all about # 4.

MVP.

IT can fly too.

No comments: