Thursday, August 10, 2023

August 10, 1994 - Williamsburg - Journal Entry

August 10 1994

I retired from working at Rick's metal shop lucky to have not cut off any fingers. Next week I'll resume selling diamonds on 47th Street. Andrea, who had been Rickie's righthand, has gone to work with her brother, thus being saved from the 9-5 daily stretch of abuse from Richie and Manny. I'm equally stupid in their eyes and am also subject to abuse, even though a Rebbi once asked everyone gather in the exchange, "What do you know?"

Everyone said their piece and the Rebbi turned to me, "Nu, the goy, what do you know?"

"Ich weiss nichts other than anyone who knows all the answers hasn't heard all the questions."

"Ach, the goy is a smart sheygutz."

The abuse won't stop now than it hadn't before, but I'll be in a clean environment and the scorn of Dave from Spongehead, who always gives me the cold shoulder, as if I had stolen his Barbie Doll. Every time he saw me. No more Brooklyn, even though I loved being a real working man and working with metal. even if all my food tasted of brass, copper, and steel.

ALMOST THIRTY YEARS AGO

No comments: