Friday, October 27, 2023

October 25, 1978 East Village Journal Entry

The dalliances of October are coming to a close. Alice remains my favorite. She is hurt by my sexual adventures. I wish I could be faithful, but I feel so free and she is frequently not in the mood for sex. Maybe it’s just with me. I think she is having an affair with her friend Susan, but I doubt that. Alice is my safe house, a harbor from the storms, a friend, a lover, someone who cares for my soul as I care for hers.

We shared phrases from our speech after these months of living together at 256 East 10th Street. She has a better understanding of the English language while I know more slang. My cousin Cindy is married to the managing editor of the National Geographic. Oliver Payne was born in Rhodesia and educated at proper English school and said during a visit, “You speech is difficult to decipher.”

Understandable with my Boston accent crippled by speech issues.

I purport myself to be a modernist, believing the world has reached a watershed in history. During the Ice Age man was an omnivorous hunter, Neanderthals were on the menu. Cro-Magnon and Homo sapiens sheltered in caves. Food was scarce. These people gnawed meat and snow. Human flesh before they discovered pigs, which tasted as good as man. Classical Anthropologists liked to portray our antecedents to assume the genetic acme of Man, but we were, are, and will be savages driven by climate and hunger for flesh. Human flesh. Supposedly we taste like pig.

The last known man to be eaten in this century was Michael Rockefeller by the Asmat tribesmen in Papua New Guinea

After the melting of the glaciers the sea level rose inundating Atlantis. The lands covered by ice grew green. Man raised animals and crops to east along with Man. Man went from a savage to a savage with cattle. Previously our sense of ownership pertained to caves, women, men and a shank of meat. Herds of cattle became property. Man fought over these possessions, then with the discovery of beer Man settled down to reap the harvest. Tribes divided the land. Their territories had names. None that we remember. We remained savages as we do now,

No comments: