Monday, November 13, 2023

Over The Burma Border

2002 Fifteen miles into Burma Hot Dry Dusty An illegal entry On a 250cc ATX Honda. Stop at a A Lao village On a nameless dirt road Surrounded by eternal opium fields. Children gawking at the falang An old white man in black Two men with AK47s. Watch From a bar. Thinking DEA. Two beers buy a smile. Almost cold. We clink glass. A toast Chai yo. Drink

Ahead to the west Rows of dragon backed ridges Offering The urge to go To ride through Burma To Victoria's Peak. Then the Himalayas Tibet Nepal India All the way to Paris.

A full tank Cash in my pocket Time on my hands. I finish the beer. Rev the engine. Do not shift into first.

Behind me Back in Mai Sai A room on the river. None of my possessions Worth anything There.

Here a bike, a passport, money, and the clothes on my back.

Back in Mai Sai Aphinya My friend If I go She will wonder where I went Kwam-luklab A mystery. I have said The L word Chan lak ter I love you To Aphinya.

The 250 says Go The mountains say Come. The Lao kids look at me Laugh. "Nawh." Fool Ching Ching They right.

I turn around Mai Sai bound To Aphinya By the river Away from Burma The Himalayas Paris. That road will be there Forever Always there For another day Some time.

No comments: