Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Revolution Versus Songkran

I first came to Thailand in 1991. It was April. I traveled to Koh Samui on an overnight ferry. No one told me about the regular boat service, but I spent that night staring at the stars flickering in a tropical night. The boat was a service barge. Slow. We arrived at dawn. I got off the boat and was immediately drenched with buckets of water.

My intro to Songkran.

Thailand's water festival.

In 2022 I flew in from New York, I couldn't stay long. I had to get back to the hospital for treatment, missing Songkran. At the airport my wives asked when I'm coming back with big pockets. Bangkok had been shut for two years under the rules of Covid. Faced with such a crisis the government announced that it was dealing with the crisis the only way possible.

An extension of the Songkran festival until Friday.

Party. Sanuk. Forget everything.

If only salvation was that easy.

No comments: