Thursday, July 7, 2022

Last Call In Butte, Montana # 2

1974

I arrived late in Butte Montana. After driving most of the day 11:45 the bartender shouted ‘Last Call’. as Gram Parsons played on the jukebox.

A week ago I walked into the kitchen. A towel wrapped around my waist. No sign of Mona. Only a burning egg. A note said don’t follow her to Bozeman. But she never liked that town

12:55 last call in Butte, Montana I got a whiskey and one beer No sign on Mona But I kept on seeing her everywhere.

Lakeside, Malta, Shelby, and Great Falls I saw her I saw her I saw a mirage In Helena, Garrison, but not no one in Deer Lodge And there was only one place she was bound to be.

Not to Big Timber, Livingston, or Bozeman Only one place she was going to go.

Last call in Butte, Montana One whiskey, one beer 1:45 and no sign on Mona But my eyes keep expecting her here.

My wife liked the lights at the M&M. Mona liked the cowboys too. I showed the bartender her photo He said, “Two night ago he came through.” And then she was gone.” I nodded my head and finished my drinks

Last call in Butte, Montana One whiskey, one beer

1:55 no sign on Mona But my eyes keep expecting her here. Last call in Butte, Montana One whiskey, one beer No sign on Mona Even if my eyes keep seeing her here. “She might have gone to Missoula. Women like her like it there just fine.” I drop $5 on the bar and left the M&M Bar. Still hurting from her leaving And wanting to know why But no one gets all the answers.

2:05 after last call in Butte, Montana No more whiskey. No more beer. No sign of Mona. But only a fool would have thought she was here.

And I am a big one.

No comments: