Friday, November 4, 2022

ODE TO LOUIE LOUIE - JOURNAL POE 1981

ODE TO LOUIE LOUIE "Ah, Louie Lou-ii oh no...." Maybe 1964 or 1965 I don't remember those days to good these days, but I was in the Boy Scouts of America Trying to get a merit badge for swimming. Camp Adams Pond New Hampshire

The counselor shouted "20 laps, one underwater." "The counselors were strange. I was twelve. I knew nothing. About front seats of cars Steamy showers Dark woods

The counselor didn't know my name I din't know his, I knew LOUIE LOUIE Everyone in America knew that song.

We listened for someone shouting a mute 'fuck'. I didn't know what fuck was. Playing with Barbie Dolls held no answers. Ken dancing with Barbie to the Kingsmen.

At the camp was a boy with one leg Cancer got the other one John was strong. Not a good swimmer

He swam singing LOUIE LOUIE We sang with him He said 'fuck' at the right part We laughed He swam underwater and came up saying 'fuck'.

Radio stations across America played the song. 50,000 watts. It was a big hit From coast to coast LOUIE LOUIE was a teenage secret The counselor knew nothing. Adults knew nothing We kept a secret from coast Block Island to Monterrey

John knew the secret He told me what 'fuck' meant He told all of us So now as then

"Louie Loui-ii I gotta go Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah In the midnight hour 'Fuck'

No comments: