Saturday, April 1, 2023

CLOCHEMERLE by Gabrielle Chevallier

In 1994 I was stranded in Penang, Malaysia. I had gone to the Malacca Straits city to rendezvous with Sam Royalle to film my trip down to Singapore and off the Sumatra, however my friend was stuck in London. "Sorry, mate, no money." "No worries."

Indeed, I was stranded in Asia. My sick travel companion had recovered and abandoned me in Langawai. My sin? I couldn't afford to nurse her at her hotel. She was really pissed, especially since she had just divorceed her husband for infidelity.

Giancarlo and I were good friends.

She didn't even say good-bye.

My remaining funds were not enough for a flight to Europe. Thankfully I could afford a month in Penang. Maybe more if I sold my possessions; an Olympus A4 camera, a Sony Word Band Radio, and a large Amethyst ring. Penang had book stores. Buy one, read one. Return for 50%.

In one near Fort Cornwallis I found the comic 1934 novel CLOCHEMERLE BY Gabrielle Chevallier. The story of a France Profound village whose Mayor and schoolmaster had decided to put a urinal across the street from a bar, where most of the drinkers relieved themselves, but also near the village church as a confrontation to the two lords of the town; the rich and the church.

I laughed for the night and in the morning Danny, the Swiss Hotel's owner what was so funny.

That night I heard his echoed mine from the pervious night.

No one has mentioned CLOCHEMERLE.

OH JOY FOR A BON PISSOIR.

No comments: