Tuesday, May 30, 2023

WHAT IS AMERICA 1980 - JOURNAL ENTRY

[caption id="attachment_29375" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Boy Scout Shota[/caption]

WHAT IS AMERICA

What is America?

It isn't an easy answer

As it was with the Pledge of Allegiance

Said with a hand over my heart

In a two-room schoolhouse in Maine

Said in unison with other white students

We had learned in a young heart

Within a week

Without out any explanation

1958

America

It was a flag.

The State of Maine was one of the States

On the northern border of America

1960 my family moved to the South Shore of Boston.

Deeper into America

I attended a Catholic School

Sister Mary Magdalene taught us geography.

I memorized the states and the capitols.

Sister Mary Magdalene awarded me a gold star.

I learned more about America.

My uncles had fought wars.

Against the Nazis

Against the Japs

Against the North Koreans and Commie Chinese Reds

American stood for freedom

Superman stood for truth, justice and the American Way.

Talking in class was not allowed in parochial school Not by the students.

Opening your mouth earned a trip to Mother Superior's office

A wooden ruler on the palm

Ten times on the knuckles for bad boys.

Freedom was a word taught by the nuns

Under the Blue Hills

Boy Scouts

Memorial Day parades

Veterans of the wars.

America was in South Vietnam.

Older teens fought the Viet Cong.

For freedom.

At school

History

Geography

It was the Sixties

Some things did not make sense

A war in Asia. Siccing dogs on blacks. God. None of what they taught in school.and the men from our neighborhood Only math seemed the truth.and the men from our neighborhood I was a youth on a rampage,

Rock and roll, Louie Louie, Janet Stetson, The Velvet Underground, gas 35 cents a gallon.

July 4, 1968

The Quincy Quarries

Brewster's

A 110-foot granite cliff

Jimmie Lianetti dives off the Rail He is the coolest of the cool

Something goes wrong.

Our idol breaks his back

His friends drag him from the water

Not dead but never again him

I finish high school.

My draft number is 91

Soldiers and civilians die in Vietnam.

If I don't go to college

I could be one of them.

I want to leave my town

Boston

America I'm a fighter

Not a baby killer.

I go back to school

To learn more about America

Math major

That summer

Linda Imhoff.

An elegant junior exec at my father's office

Long legs, aristocratic accent, clean shaven body,

We fuck at the Hatchshell by the Charles River

Emerson Lake and Palmer onstage

We were in the bushes.

Gas 38 cents a gallon

The 1970s were not kind to America

The city closed the Quincy Quarries

In the 90s

Boston buried them in the rubble from the Big Dig

All to save suburban commuters fifteen minutes

The tunnel saved them nothing

It wasn't all gone

The concerts, the fights after school, the racism, the bullying, the murders, guns, the them against the other them.

I was a hippie,

I am a punk

I am a father

I am a grandfather.

I am nothing

I am everything.

I am an American

I know what it means to me

Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

And that's it.

No comments: