Sunday, September 24, 2023

KILIMANJARO 2019 - HOROMBO HUTS

Night falls fast on the Equatar and even faster at the 4000 meter plus altitude of Mawenzi Huts. I have been sick the entire trek. I should have listened to Tim's advice and not eatne any of the goat entrail stew at Kibo Slopes Lodge. I haven't slept soundly on the entire trip and the porters have set my tent away from the others, becausse of my frequent visists to the bushes to vomit. At least I can keep down my food during dinners.

Mawee and JR have led the climbers up a route to the cliffs of Mount Mawenzi. THe jagged peaks have rarely been climbed, as the fissile rocks present an unsurmountable danger. Tim and I have opted to rest in this break. Strangely I can get phone reception atop a hilllock and called Thailand to speak with Nu and Mem. Everyone in my family is good. I'm hoping to return to the states and then slip over to there, once Charlotta pays me what she owes me.

It's cold up here. Snow flurries on a stiff wind. I wonder how the climbed are doing in this cold. Only the New York contingent have experienced winter. The Nairobi gang complain about the cold. The only warmth comes from hot tea. There are no trees. There are no fires.. Only our parkas and sleeping bags protect us from the increasing cold.

The Kibo Huts under Kilimanjaro are only six miles away across the saddle between these two mountains. A ascent of 3000 feet, which will take five to six hours.

Breathe that's all I have to do.

That and stay warm.

It's only going to get colder.

No comments: