Monday, April 22, 2024

Neo-Haiku 3

Haiku by Matsuo Bashō "Quietly, quietly, / yellow mountain roses fall – / sound of the rapids

A haiku traditionally consists on sixteen syllables. Three lines of five / seven / four syllables according to Japanese poetry.

I have been satisfied with a contrary configuration without the guidance of Zen calligraphy. The nuns at St. Mary's of the Hills had been hard pressed to instill in their grammar school students the importance of legible pensmanship ie the Palmer cursor method. I still some of the grace from their instruction, which had been backed by a ruler to the back of the hand for any uncrossed ts and undotted is.

I shall practice my handwriting on clean white sheets of paper in honor of Sister Mary Osmond. My ancient Egyption teacher from 6th Grade. 1964. Sixty years ago. my hand remains true, although originally I had been left-handed. A sign of the Devil. Sister Mother Superior beat the devil out of me. Not completely. I still deal cards left-handed.

A mirror
An image
My Image
Not me
Just how
A Mirror sees me

Moi

4/2024


Brevity
Three syllables
One word
Lasting
An eternity

Poetry
On the subway
To avoid
limbo
On the phone

No comments: