Friday, December 17, 2010

Lilacs


The director Blake Edwards passed away in late December. His greatest hits were BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, 10, and VICTORIA VICTORIA. Fame fled him in the 80s, but his star rose on Broadway in the musical version of VICTORIA VICTORIA. My cousin was Julie Andrews' understudy. Tara got to perform the leading role on several occasions. I caught her once with the rest of my family. After the performance my aunts and mother asked what Julie Andrews was like.

"She calls me 'darling'." Tara was enthralled by the superstar's allure.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that she probably called everyone 'darling', so she never forgot anyone's name. Julie Andrews' must have had a pet name for Blake Edwards. They were married for 41 years.

Before they met, he explained her success to a gathering at a party by saying, "She has lilacs in her pubic hair."

And having seen them once, he never wandered again.

Faithful to the end.

This is the power of pussy.

No comments: