Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Grace Grace Grace


The last time I saw Grace was at the Beverly Hills Hotel.

1995.

I knew her from New York We had mutual friends. Arthur Weinstein for one. I was working at a bar in Beverly Hills. The Milk Bar. Our clientele was rich. Their fun began late.

The after party was thrown by a banker later indicted for insider trading. We were seven. He had a bag of blow for twenty. Grace and I grabbed the stash and locked ourselves in the bathroom rather than listening to three zooted investors brag about their millions to coke-glazed starlets.

It was a bad remake of Tony Montana from the last scene of SCARFACE.

Grace and I did our own movie and spoke about friends from New York.

Rock sex and rock and roll

In Hollywood was only the drugs.

The bankers banged on the door. I opened it and told them to fuck off. Grace and I spent a few more minutes in the bathroom, then rejoined the party. At dawn we shared a taxi home. Her to the Marmont. Me to a small bungalow over the Hills in North Hollywood. The sun was harsh. Both of us had sunglasses I didn't get to sleep until noon.

That was in 1995.

Grace is my age.

41.

Maybe my math is bad.

Everyone lies about their age and weight after 30.

No comments: