Monday, May 16, 2011

Tokyo Void


My preferred airline from JFK to Bangkok is Korean Airlines. The Boeing 777 is serviced by young beautiful hostesses and the in-flight entertainment offers films other than the usual Hollywood drivel. My attempt to book a seat for my most recent trip met with failure. My travel agent at Pan Express said that all the planes were full.

"But I can get you on an American flight via Japan."

Japan on American.

I equate American with Delta, which is the worst of the international carriers. Narita terminal 2 is a horrible limbo. I had no choice. It was American through Japan or nothing. I booked the flight and arrived at JFK on my departure date expecting the worst.

I was pleasantly surprised by American Airlines. They were running 777s to Asia. The planes was far from full. The aged stewardesses were friendly. We stopped at Haneda Airport instead of Narita. The following flight was equally empty. No one was flying in or out of Japan, unless they had to get somewhere.

The return flight was a repeat.

Seats aplenty. Terminal devoid of passengers. The stewardesses said that the planes had been full prior to the earthquake and tsunami. The cracked reactors have frightened travelers from passing through Japan. Radioactivity has been detected as far away from the stricken N-plants as Yokohama. The country is in danger of becoming a no-go zone.

A marine on the eastbound segment said that his battalion was ordered onto aircraft carriers to help the survivors, but turned around when the geiger counter went off the charts. No one is telling the truth.

Poor Japan.

It's aglow.

No comments: