Sunday, February 17, 2013

Mark Kamins RIP

I was stunned to hear that Mark Kamins had passed away in Guadalajara, Mexico. The legendary DJ had discovered Madonna at Danceteria and spun discs all around the world. The famed singer told Billboard, "I'm very sorry to hear about Marks death. I haven't seen him for years but if it weren't for him, I might not have had a singing career. He was the first DJ to play my demos before I had a record deal. He believed in me before anyone else did. I owe him a lot. May he Rest in Peace." She was gracious with her words as was Mark with his life. After finishing his studies in Greece, Mark hit New York in 1981 to DJ at Danceteria. I was shocked to see a heavily mustached young man behind the turntables. At first I thought that he was a Freddy Mercury wannabe. The other DJs and club people joke about his facial ornament and he shaved off the 'tache to please us. He was a good friend to many and a loving father to his son. We shall miss him and dance to his spinning in our heads.

No comments: