Thursday, January 2, 2014

THE APARTMENT by Billy Wilder


Billy Wilder has directed several of my favorite films; SUNSET BOULEVARD and SOME LIKE IT HOT, however my favorite remains THE APARTMENT 1960 with Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine and co-starring Fred McMurray as the caddish executive.

I hated McMurray for mistreating Shirley MacLaine's character, Fran, so much that I never watched his TV show MY THREE SONS.

In 1977 I met my hillbilly girlfriend, who bore a remarkable resemblance to the actress even to this day.

IAL Diamond won an Oscar for co-screenwriting the film.

These days young people can't watch black/white films. It's a generational affliction like dogs can't see what's on TV.

Last night I watched THE APARTMENT with pleasure, if only for the scene in which the next-door neighbor asked for napkins. Jack Lemmon ie CC Baxter said, "All I have are paper towels."

The older woman regarded him with disdain.

"Beatnik."

I loved her response and the rest of the movie too.

I'm getting really old.

To see the Christmas Party scene, please go to the following URL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KH3EU1RvRc

No comments: