Thursday, May 1, 2014

Emerson Lake and Palmer 1971 Loss of Viriginity Tour

Moog Music announced that the company will honor the 50th of the introduction of the Moog Modular, the first voltage controlled synthesizer at Moogfest 2014. The engineers of that legendary company spent three years reconstructing the iconic Keith Emerson’s Moog Modular System.

"Using the original documentation as well as circuit board and art files for nearly every original Moog module, Moog Engineers have painstakingly recreated the original Emerson Modular System. The new Emerson Moog Modular System is comprised of handcrafted Moog modules built from the original circuit designs and are true recreations of the originals, utilizing the same hand assembly methods used in the Moog Music factory in Trumansburg, NY in 1969. The modules in the new Emerson Moog Modular System are built just as the originals were, by hand-stuffing and hand-soldering components to circuit boards, and using traditional wiring methods. Even the front panels are photo-etched aluminum (a rare process now), which is the classic and durable, look of vintage Moog modules."

I missed Moogfest, but on May 29, 1971 a co-worker and I attended an Emerson, Lake, and Palmer concert at Boston Hatchshell. We brought two bottles of Zapple wine. I don't remember the flavor. The opening act was the blues artist John Hammond. Linda wasn't familiar with their music. Linda worked in the same office on Franklin Street, although she was an executive, while I was a summer employee thanks to my father's intercession. He was a top electrical engineer for NET&T.

The long-legged twenty-six year-old divorcee came from Concord. Traces of an English accent meshed with her high-class clothing. She was no hippie girl and her mother was babysitting her young daughter. We never spoke about her ex-. This was our first date.

The two of us shared the bottle of wine.

It was my birthday.

I was turning 19.

My hair was long. She liked playing with it. We smoked a joint. I touched her back. She was wearing a bra. Girls at my college had burned theirs. They were feminists and didn't shave their legs or armpits. Linda shaved both. I liked the touch of her bare skin.

"I'm old-fashioned in many ways," she murmmured in my ear. "But not all of them."

We made out on the grassy lawn.

No one around us said anything. It wasn't Woodstock, but we were free.

They were grooving on the music of Edgar Winter. The albino organist was Johnny Winter's brother. I had seen the pale-skinned guitar play with BB King at the 1970 Newport Jazz Festival.

The sky grew storm during his set and a windstorm lashed the audience, as he played TOBBACO ROAD.

Everyone expected rain, but the night grew calm for his encore of SAVE THE PLANET.

I opened the second bottle of wine and torched the joint. Linda was getting high for the first time. She had a funny laugh. The stage crew assembled an enormous sound system centered on a massive moog synthesizer. I was familiar with Keith Emerson from his years with the Nice.

I had one of their LPs.

The trio took the stage and proceeded with pounded the audience with a fast-paced organ recital.

The crowd swayed to TAKE A PEBBLE. Linda stripped off her bra. I groped her breasts. We wandered over the the bushes. I told her that I was a virgin.

"Not for very long."

It was a very good birthday and I wish Linda the best.

Whereever she is.

To hear TAKE A PEBBLE please go to the following URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaYsgjn82GA&feature=kp

No comments: