Tuesday, May 23, 2023

May 14,1990 - Langtang Glacier - Nepal - Journal Entry

2500 meters - Ghora Tabula

This morning Dieter woke up with vomit on his shirt. He doesn't talk about being gay, but he has said anything about spending time in Bangkok. I respect his staying in the closet and told him that we are all sinners. Dieter had been traveling the last three years on $250/month to see as muhc of the world as he could before his immune system crashed. Dice worries that the German could die on this trek.

"It's his choice. Life. Death all the same," says Dorge.

The higher we climb the worst the sun.

Thankfully I have lip balm and sunblock. Lance's lips are painfully black and face scrotched by the sun. I give him some of mine. We stopped for lunch without any shade trees.The ports have rigged a shelter from tarps. The cook has once more provided a huge lunch.I had hoped to lose weight on this trek, but I think I've gained a few kilos. Not the porters who hae been gorging on tsampas, daal bhaat, and Thukpa stew. Eating is the only fuel for our bodies. Our whiskey is finished and I've been sober for a few days.

The teahouse trekkers regard us as heretics on the Asia on $5 a day guide book. All in our sherpas and guides and food cost us each $20 a day. Lance and I shared our excess food with the children, who trail us fromvillage to village. We only give Dieter food, because his body has been wracked by dysentery. He still refuses to turn back. Yesterday Miriam left him and attached herself to another group of backpackers.

Israelis.

These young men and women had recently finished their occupation service in Palestine. Their heads have sprouted hair overnight. The Sherpas can't stand these long-haired ex-soldiers, saying that they steal and cheat villagers every step of the way like they had usurped another country. Their army time was required by their government.None of them speak of the Palestinians other than animals. I told one of them that was the way the Nazis had spoken of the Jews during the Holocaust. The largest Israeli wanted to fight me. Lance defused the situation by sayingwe were all here to be one with the Himalayas.

AFter the dispute Dorge suggested that we avoid any contact.

"Israelis always trouble." Lance, a New York Jew, agreed and doesn't have time for the either.

Miriam abandoned them and rejoined Dieter, who has employed one of extra Sherpas to carry his bag. The two of them would be perfectly cast as a gay monk followed by an insane nun in a medieval movie. It has been said theat Tolkien's books had been inspired by the Himalayas.

MIriam attended to Dieter.

It's time for him to turn around.

He threw up blood.

Miriam is a saint for taking care of him. He is very brave to persist in this trekk. Almost as if will die when we reach Langtang Glacier.

Miriam kissed me after lunch behind a prayer wall.

"Thank you for taking care of Dieter."

When we returned to group, the German glanced at my crotch. My zipper was still down. The retired school teacher smiled at me like he wished it had been with him. My left wrist has been broken in a motorcycle crash on the Burma-Thai border. I was lucky to be alive as was Dieter. I had hammered off the cast in a Patpong go-go bar. I lifted my crooked arm and said, "This makes everything harder."

"So I see. I'm taking your advice. I'm going back down. Miriam is coming with me."

"I'm glad to see you. Maybe we'll meet someplace else. Maybe Kathmandu."

"Vierleicht."

Lance and I gave them food and we shook hands. Miriam kissed my cheek. Her sweat smelled sweet in the rare air. The three of them walked out of sight followed by a young beggar. Tat was the last I saw of them.

No comments: