Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Buffalo Soldier - Bob Marley - Africa 2019

In March 2019 while trekking across the Masaai Plains with the Kili Initiative team, ten young adults from Kibera and East New York, I hiked alone to meeting them for a rock climbing exercise. The dust of Africa under my feet I heard a song on the wind and saw the team atop of rock. Singing. As I grew closer, I divine the Bob Marly song BUFFALO SOLDIER. and walked singing the chorus. They shouted the chorus back. Sheer happiness. The magic of Marley. I tried to scale the cliff at ten feet I slipped and crashed into the rocks. Scraps blood. No pain. Africa. Only freedom.

Buffalo Soldier, dreadlock Rasta
There was a Buffalo Soldier
In the heart of America
Stolen from Africa, brought to America
Fighting on arrival, fighting for survival

Lyrics by Bob Marley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfVjOdIHSW0

No comments: