Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Skateboarding Pattaya 2006

Back in 2006 while living through another hot season in Pattaya, I watched the 2006 Winter Olympics from Torino Italy. After viewing the downhill and fantasized about snow mountains and skiing, then spotted my skateboard.

Skateboard, Pattaya Hill, road, downhill on asphalt.

I told Angie's mom about my plan and she frowned, even after I showed her my helmet. My daughter Angie was three. She said she thought it was going to be fun.

We got into the car and drove to the top of Pattaya Hill. It was not so high, only three hundred feet above the beach. We parked and I survey the road. Very steep. I told my wife to drive behind me to insure I don't get run over by traffic. I rejected her discouragement and kicked off my flipflops. Nothing athletic works wearing flipflops.

I pushed off and picked up speed fast. Faster and faster. The board wobbled wildly. Death wobble. I crouched to stabilize the erratic side-to-siding.

Too late.

I leapt off the skateboard and face-planted on the pavement. My wife stopped the chair and came to my side. My daughter cried seeing the blood seeping from various scraps.

"Khan sabaii."

I lied, seeing my little toe had been uplifted from the flesh. Skateboarding barefoot sucks

No comments: