A bearded older man lay on the sidewalk. Heap of humanity. The screening crowd ignored him deceived by their blather. I had no idea who he was. A human in distress. His attempts to stand feeble. I bent over to help him. He begged off my aid. I lifted him to his feet and he stood a crooked man. I recognized him. He had been inside the theater. Soiled clothing like a derelict, but familiar to the audience.
Willem worked the autograph line. He had been here thousands of times in hundreds of places. A car was waiting for him. We were. Going to his apartment thereafter for tea.
"Stay close. When I go. I go."
I nodded and asked the old man, if he was alright.
"Fine."
I went to the big black SUV. The black driver asked if I wanted inside. I waved off the offer. This was Willem's ride.
The risen fallen man was speaking with Willem. He listened with intent. Willem despite his fame has retained his humanity, as have I from time to time.
"Let's go."
"First a photo with the old man."
Willem stood close. The two seemed to know each other. One shot was enough.
Willem jumped in the car. I got in. The doors shut. The SUV was supersized for comfort. Willem was relieved to be out of the limelight. Our friendship went back into the last century. Both of us lucky to be us now.
"Do you know Radio Man?"
"Who?"
"The old man. He's famous. Radio Man comes to all the first screenings. He's been in lots of movies. Here take a look."
Willem found Radio Man on Google and handed me his iPhone. The bearded old man had been in many films. Even a documentary. He had been discovered shouting at celebrities from a news stand. He never had to pretend to be real. He was real. He had no other choice. Still I had never heard him.
Radio Man had confided to Willem that Late Fame will be the one to earn him an Oscar. I think so too. Once more he was playing real and nobody was better than that than himself adn Radio Man was more famous than me, but I had always wanted to be famous for never and at that I succeeded without faulure___
Thanks for your support. In order to avoid ads, please donate to blogger.com.mangozeen through Venmo. Any amount will help us. I do have a large family. My Venmo account is @Peter.Smith.18
Much more to come.

No comments:
Post a Comment