Friday, August 7, 2009

7/11 Legs


I took this photo with my cellphone at a 7/11 on Jomtien Beach. Two teenage Russian girls. It was 10am. Their father was drunk. Russian men like drinking. Me too. The girls didn't notice my spying on them, but their father gave me the evil eye. I smiled back innocently and he scowled as only a drunk Russian can scowl. Like he wanted a reason to fight. I left without a word and returned to my soi. Later in the day my girlfriend went through my cellphone and her scowl beat the Russian father.

"Why you have this photo?"

"Art?"

"What is art?"

"Sĭn-lá-bpà." I knew that word from the fake painting stores.

"Ko-Hok." My girlfriend wasn't buying my excuse and walked off to take care of my son. Nothing I could say would make her think that I was telling the truth.

She knows me too well.

No comments: