Thursday, January 7, 2010

Warmth of Winter


My friends are reacting to the prolonged cold snap by discounting the research of thousands of scientists with the simplistic query. "Where's global warming now?"

My attempts to explain the ever-increasing swings in weather extremes are in vain.

"But it's cold and the planet is supposedly to be getting warm."

"There's 6 billion people on Earth. We watch TV, drive cars, and eat potato chips." The prediction of 9 billion inhabitants by 2050 is a frightening vision for my children. They'll be in their 40s. I'll be almost a hundred. "That many people can't be good."

"Without growth there can't be wealth." Richie Boy at work is a free-market capitalist. We sell diamonds. Our sales depend on the rich. I'd be a hypocrite to not appreciate their largess.

"Wealth isn't the final arbiter of happiness."

"Money might not be able to buy happiness, but it certainly can rent it." Richie Boy was tanned from a week's vacation on St. Barths. He said the prices there were exorbitant. My income bracket aren't allowed access to that isle of the rich and famous.

"Global warming might not be fact, but this many people will lead to nothing but chaos."

"I don't see any chaos anywhere."

In truth the world seemed fairly orderly. Terrorism was ordinary. Economic collapse was a common occurrence. Devastation day to day. It was cold outside. Below zero Fahrenheit. I had a cashmere coat and scarf. It was sunny outside. We were doomed, but it was a beautiful day. I can only hope that i can say the same during the end of the end.

No comments: