Saturday, January 30, 2010

Barbie Does Boston


Playing with dolls was a sin for boys in the 1950s. Barbie changed the opinion of many boys during the 1960s. The first Barbie came out in 1964. I was 12. My friends and I were on the cusp of pubescence and Mattel's doll had curves. Curves like Jayne Mansfield. A wasp like a wasp. Barbie was our first girlfriend, although only when our sisters were not at home. They would not have liked what we did to their dolls; Barbie and Ken. The unspeakable was saved for Midge. We had no respect for her. At the end of my 'play' session I would redress the dolls and put them back where I found them with a warning.

"Don't say anything."

Silence was always their answer and my sisters would ask the dolls, "Why aren't you talking?"

They knew something was wrong and told my parents that someone in the family was abusing their dolls. I never admitted to the truth and Barbie kept her mouth shut even after I abandoned her for a Playboy. Dinah Willis was the centerfold. She was a goddess I worshipped far from Barbie. THE ITCH by Olympic Press stole my heart. Barbie and I were done forever. All good things have to come to an end and all bad things too, but somewhere in my heart is a atom of love for my first girlfriend. She had such tiny lips for a kiss.

Oh Barbie.

The first love is always the best.

No comments: