Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Family Olympics 1912 - 2010


The 1912 Summer Olympics were held in Stockholm. My paternal grandfather was scheduled to compete as a pole vaulter for Canada. He broke a leg during practice. Harry Babcock set a new Olympic record with 3.95 meters. The USA won the gold and the silver and the bronze. Two years later the world was at war. My grandfather served in France as a doctor for the RCMEF and met my grandmother there. None of the next generation went to the Olympics. None of mine too, but my sister's-in-law cousin is competing in the finals of women's aerial skiing.

Emily Cook from Belmont, Massachusetts.

She was 12th after the 1st jump.

I googled her name for a better result.

Still the same.

Go Emily.

I'll never get so close.

At 57 I recognize my greatest athletic feats are well behind me, although I W'ed against a 13 year-old on the DeKalb basketball courts. 21-16. He had a good shot.

No comments: