Sunday, February 21, 2010

Yet Another Mea Culpa


Tiger Woods appeared before the TV cameras to apologize for his philandering ways. His mother was in attendance. His wife was understandably absent. His statement didn't address the night of the crash outside his Florida house. He unequivocally denied his wife swung a golf club at him without explaining why he fled in such haste. Tiger's crime was not murder or taking performance drugs or stealing money from children.

Tiger Woods was a sex addict, then again many other athletes and public figures and plain old folk like sex.

"I was unfaithful. I had affairs. I cheated. What I did was not acceptable."

Unacceptable to his wife, who was probably not putting out enough. Unacceptable to his sponsors who exploited the image of clean family living to sell their products. Unacceptable to the religious leaders of America who tolerate child-abuse from the Catholic Church and polygamy from the Mormons. Unacceptable to TV lip-bumpers who have nothing to say about anything other than the sins of others.

Wilt Chamberlain boasted of having sex with 10,000 women. The Winter Olympic Committee distributed 100,000 condoms to the athletes in Vancouver. Last time I went to a hockey game a beautiful girl begged for an introduction to a Ranger. I was sitting behind the bench. I called out his name. She did the rest.

Sex is not a sin.

At least not in my book, then again I'm faithful to my wife.

No comments: