Monday, June 20, 2011

Chicken or the Egg


The question 'which came first the chicken or the egg' has befuddled mankind for centuries. Philosophers such as Aristotle and Plato have pondered on this case of circular cause and consequence without satisfaction. Darwin argued that the chicken came first and lately Stephen Hawking has backed the egg. DNA testing on ancient fossils have failed to enlightened modern science. Christianity supports the 'Big Bang' creation miracle of the Old Testament, while Buddhism contends that the wheel of time leads to nowhere and in nowhere the chicken and egg are meaningless.

I am a simple man.

My education was extensive. My de-education even more so, for I have come to realize that anyone knowing all the answers hasn't heard all the questions. My mind has been erased countless times by drink and drugs.

The other morning I awoke from a near-death stupor gifted more by oblivion than enlightenment. It was Father's Day. My children are far away in Thailand. They are my reason for living along with beer, my wife Mem, the Boston sports teams, western movies, books, art, and a pantheon of interests. They are my everything, but in truth I know that I came before them.

My eggs ie sperm predated their existence. My semen is the river of life. Without it women are merely women, so laying in my bed on a Sunday morning I came to the momentous conclusion that I as a man am the egg and the woman is the chicken, for all a woman does is sit on my egg to hatch the chicklet.

Of course I would never say that within hearing distance of a woman, because chicken has big ears and short tempers.

No comments: