Sunday, February 11, 2024

The End Of An Era

Five Super Bowls appearances resulted in three championships for the New England Patriots during the early Belichek-Brady era, although both post-season losses came in the last minutes at the hands of Giants quarterbacked by Eli Manning in the last minute by the quarterback'sspectacular passes against a weary secondary and the result in 2012 mirrored the defeat of 2008, but in reality this year's match-up was determined very early in the 1st quarter by an intentional grounding call against Tom Brady, which resulted in a safety and a punt to the

Of course my sister calling during the game was the kiss of death.

"Are you watching the game?" I sat the game with a long-time friend in the West Village. Bill was a Packers fan. We had $20 on the game. It was a friendly bet.

"No." She was working on test papers for her college students.

"I can't talk. It's bad luck to speak with someone not watching the game." The damage had been done and then I looked over my shoulder at Bill's Italian wife. The director from Pescara was busy writing a film proposal. Two negatives made a positive and I relaxed a little with the Patriots leading by a point into half-time.

Madonna's greatest show on Earth was a disaster. She opened the set with VOGUE, her smash hit from the last century. Her dance routine reminded me of an aging quarterback running from a blood-thristy linebacker. She was slow. Faster than me, but I wasn't on stage before a billion people. When play resumed, I wallowed in a quiet calm with a Brady score.

It wasn't enough and the clock ticked away with the Patriots. The Giants had the ball and marched down field.

I bit off three fingernails and gnawed them smooth, then the Blue scored a TD with 56 seconds to go.

Damn the safety, damn my sister, damn VOGUE.

I couldn't get it out of my head.

Madonna, that old witch had ear-wormed me and maybe the Patriots too.

Brady's Hail Mary pass into the end zone resulted in nothing.

Game over.

The Giants win.

I can't remember the score, but I rode home to Brooklyn on the A train listening tomesctastic Giant fans recapping the Superbowl. I really didn't hear them, because my ears were ringing with VOGUE.

The curse of Madonna.

The bitch.

Back at FortGreene I put on some MC5. Soothed by HIGH SCHOOL I told myself it had just been a game. It was easy to believe the lie.

To hear the instrumental version of the MC5's HIGH SCHOOL please go to the following URL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6XV2OblHvo

No comments: