Friday, February 16, 2024

December 9, 1978 - East Village - Journal

I haven't seen Alice all day. My honey has been deluged by problems. The previous show's Emcee, David McDermott, bailed on presiding over METRO NOVELTIES. A day before the opening. His resignation might have occurred, because Klaus Nomi garnered all the praise, ignoring his hilarious haute fey frontman performance. Alice said nothing about the whys, then again we haven't been speaking or anything since her the news of her possible pregnancy.

I joked about McDermott's desertion, paraphrasing Admiral Farragut's famous quote at the Civil War Battle of Mobile Bay, "Damn, the faggots, full speed ahead."

No laugh.

It wasn't funny. Nothing has been these days.

Tom Scully, Susan, and Alice might have folded tents on the show. The rest of the participants have been down. Alice's visible mood has been one of perseverance and that afternoon I went to see a final rehearsal at Irving Plaza .

I stood with Klaus, as she addressed the cast with a pre-show, "Listen, we will succeed, because all I'm interested in is having fun. We're not in this for the money or the fame. Fun, and we're going to have fun.

I beleived her, but Klaus turned to me and said, "She may be in it for fun. I am too, but I like the idea of fame and fortune."

"You are a star."

"I was born to be a star and everyone sees that now."

It hadn't been easy for Klaus as a fatherless son in Essen.

Different and no one anywhere likes different, but we are all different in the East Village and if you can make it here, you can make it here.

Later

LOST AT SEA
As was will be
360 degrees of darkness
The Pacific Ocean
The ship
The sea
The sky
Blackness
Where is the captain?

The sea slows,
The ship speeds at 18 knots
Stars blink on and off, on and off
Never true blackness
Only the dark.
Where is the first mate?

Engines slow to half-speed
Our heading - Singapore
Due west
Two thousand plus miles
Five days away at a faster pace Where are the crew?

A glow to the east
Not the sun
Far from land
Asea
Maybe another ship
After a half-hour
The light drowns beneath the horizon
Leaving
Only me on the late night Pacific Watch
Where am I?

That evening the air was warm. December hasn't yet been seasonably cold. Grant and I walked over to the show. A shoulder-to-shoulder crowd filed into the ancient music hall. David's absence hadn't affected the draw. People had come for the show and it was the only show in down tonight. We entered through the Polish bar on 15th Street, had a drink with Alex and the old drunks. Then another. The three of us climbed the back stairs and arrived for the opening. David is back as the emcee. A lot to do about nothing.

During the show about the over-due rent. I have no money. Alice hsa none either and has asked, "Can you pay December's rent?"

I could have, if her whore girlfriend hadn't kicked me off security after the fight with Blondie, but I have no one to blame, but me for being a pauper. I feel like going beserker. My madness has gotten me this far. An arrest and jail time for assault and battery was a solution for everything. FTW.

I stood with Kim Davis, watching the show. It has been as good as always. My pseudo-sister, Pip,held my hand and said, "I hope you and Alice can get over this."

"Over what?" I played stupid.

"Her you know what. I talked to her about getting an abortion. I said that you had taken me to Planned Parenthood. You were so good then."

"Except everyone there thought I was the father."

"You would have been a good father, if only you didn't like John Wayne so much."

"Not so much."

At the last meeting of The NRP I had mentioned that to most Americans John Waybe epitomized a true American.

"You said that we believe we are always right, even when we're wrong."

"Like most people."

"You're not always right."

"I'd be lucky to be right ten percent of the time, but people can't stand the truth."

"True, but I love you." Kim has been a good friend, ever since we met at CBGBs. I don't have many, but one is better thn none.

No comments: