Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Knock Knock It's Henry At The Door

I was listening to Michael Pollan on NPR talking about how nobody cooks anymore. I was cooking chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner. I still cook. It's not three-star, but it's better than Chinese take-out. My friend Emily Armstrong said, "I make smothered pork chops, oat bran apple muffins, and five pounds of mashed potatoes." That was a lot of mashed and if she lived closer I would have knocked on her door. In Tropic of Cancer Henry Miller wrote about showing up to his friends' houses at dinner time and upon seeing the food on the table, apologized, but they set him up with a plate. It was a brilliant stratagem for a writer. And also a plan for any hungry man. “I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive.” ― Henry Miller

No comments: