Wednesday, November 1, 2023

November 1, 1978 - Journal Entry - East Village

Halloween in New York.

That day I worked for Mark Amitin, the producer of ALBEE DIRECTS ALBEE, from 10am to 8pm, having to listen to a complete asshole and fight off his advances.

By the time I got back to 256 East 10th Street it was 9pm.

Ann had left a note on the table saying she was going to a party at Kim Davis' apartment on Bleecker Street. I didn't bother to bathe or even get dressed in a costume. Everyone at the party was in drag. I grabbed a beer and sat on the couch. Ann was little Bo-peep. She was having a great time as was everyone else. I kept my distance.

"Why you so down?" asked Kim holding a bottle of vodka.

"I hate work."

"Who doesn't hate work? You want to dress up as me?"

"Not a bad idea, but I'm cool being no one."

"No one is better at being no one than you."

She handed me the vodka. A no one knew his role. I drank more than I should and never broke a smile, happy to not be in drag.

Au naturalment no one to the nines.

No comments: