Friday, June 16, 2023

May 19, 1990 - Kathmandu Nepal - Journal Entry

A sunny day in Kathmandu. I rose early and climb up to the roof to e sunrise over the foothills. Today is the last day I can solve porblems with money. I am down to my last $100. If i had money, I would join Todd and fly to Bangokok, instead I'll catch a flight in two days to Paris. My last stop on my first circumnavigation of the world. My great-grandaunt Bert had sailed around the earth on her father's whaling ship in 1868. my uncle Dave had fought off Boak in the navy. My Uncle Russ had served inthe Occupation of Japan, and my Uncle Jack had bTtled the Chinese in Korea as a Marine. My travels were strictly peaceful.

I'll try to show NORTH NORTH HOLLYWOOD TO some producers in Paris through friends, although hit needs a serious edit. my typing is excretable. back in New York I'll try to complete my comedy script THE BEST IS YET TO COME. I've basically been touristing since Bali. I had hoped my comedy about hopeless love would have been done, but I hadn't prepared for the allure ofe the Orient; . Java, Sumatra, Singapore, Penang, Koh Samui, Koh Phangghan, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, the Golden Triangle, Nepal.

I wish I could travel forever like a letter without an address onky an eterrnity stamp.

Back in New York it will be time to work. To fill the coffers. To schlepp diamonds on 47th Street, while writing THE BEST IS YET TO COME in my spare time this summer.

If the muses are with me.

My writer's block buikds a wall on e I'm down to my lt c-note.

I am there now.

Curfew has been lifted and people are crowding the streets. Dorzee complained about the slow trekking season. I had tipped him an extra $20. Lance said our guide probably said that every year same as the diamond dealer on 47th Street remarked every Christms season.

Last night I went out drinking with Tood aka Dice. I told him to stay at the Malaysia Hotel in Bangkok, recounting the tale of Charles Sobhraj.

"He murdered travelers all along the hippie trail in the 1970s and stayed at the Malaysia. It's a fun place. Cheap and cheerful. I'll be there next year this time."

"It's a small world."

"And a long life."

"I'll be in Paris." He intended to learn French. I suggested going to the cinemas and reading the subtitles of French movies and sleep with Feench women

"Les dictionaires couchant. they worked for me."

I can't stay in New York. I was out of control there. Like there'S no reason to live, but there is now.

There always was.

The road.

No comments: