Thursday, October 2, 2008

God Love



My favorite album cover of all time was BLIND FAITH's first LP released in 1969.



The band had their cover artist search for a girl who would symbolize life. He saw her on the tube. She was wearing a school uniform, plaid skirt, blue blazer, white socks and ball point pen drawings on her hands.

He reports the meeting as having going like this "I must have looked like something out of Dickens. Somewhere between Fagan, Quasimodo, Albert Einstein and John the Baptist. The car was full of passengers. I approached her and said that I would like her to pose for a record cover for Eric Clapton's new band. Everyone in the car tensed up.

She said, "Do I have to take off my clothes?" My answer was yes. I gave her my card and begged her to call. I would have to ask her parent's consent if she agreed. When I got to Stigwood's office I called the flat and said that if this girl called not to let her off the phone without getting her phone number. When I returned she had called and left her number. It was for a Mayfair address. She was 14. In the end he used her sister. She was 12. Eric Clapton fought the record company for this cover. The girl was paid 40 pounds sterling.

No comments: