Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Free As The Breeze


The Soviet Premier Khrushchev famously declared in 1956 that the USSR would bury American Imperialism. "We will bury you!"

Actually he said, "Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will dig you in."

The Western press 'we will bury you' better.

President Kennedy came into office confronted by an aggressive Soviet Union. the Russians thought that we were soft and JFK called the American people to improve their health and fitness to counter the USSR. The primary challenge was the 50-mile hike. The Marines could do it in 20 hours. In February 1963 JFK and his brother accomplished the feat in winter weather.

That summer at Boy Scout camp in New Hampshire my older brother and I joined a troop of hikers to double the distance. 100 miles through the woods and over the hills. Our scout leaders drove the phalanx of 12-13 year-olds in 35-mile stages every day. 10-12 hours solid walking. We ran out of food on the second day and pillage a cornfield for dinner. The 3rd day was a tortuous trudge surrounded by burnt forests and miles of chopped tress. The sun was relentless and the leaders promised us a good meal at the end of the trail.

Big Man Pond.

Food and water.

The first word from the right foot. The second foot for water. We built a mirage of Big Man Pond. 30 miles across from shore to shore. Crystal clear water. Hot dogs and hamburgers on a BBQ. Cokes and ice cream.

The reality came as a shock.

Big Man Pond was barely 300 feet in length. One of the boys from South Boston threw a rock across it. The troop leader yelled at us. "This is as good as it gets. That's water. The food will be here later. We've marched 100 miles in 3 days. It's time for a swim. You've earned it. Everyone strip off your clothes."

He led the way and was buck-naked with seconds. We joined him without protest.

"Everyone in formation. Now one quick jog around the pond and then in the water."

We followed the troop leader. Our penises bouncing up and down. At the starting point he stopped and pointed to the pond.

"Into the water."

We were robots to his command.

It was the first time that I ever went skinny-dipping, but not the last.

I've swam naked on Cape Cod, at Watchic Pond, Riis Park in New York, and Black Beach in San Duego.

Nudity is frowned upon by most Americans. Our Puritan roots deny the freedom of prurient behavior. Muslims are not fond of bare flesh and neither is Latin America. A body without clothing is too vulnerable to attack, however the Germans and Scandinavians have a long history of sun-worshipping due to their pagan history.

In 1982 I visited Sylt north of Hamburg. The beach is a center for FKK or Freikoerperkultur 'free body culture'. I stripped off my clothes and allowed the four elements of the wind, earth, sun, and water scoured my flesh. The other bathers bronzed their bodies like gods and goddesses. My friends and I were young. That day wwe felt immortal.

30 years later sunbathing au natural has fallen out of vogue according to the German FKK association. There are less Germans and more foreigners, who disapprove of the old tradition, plus the Germans of the 80s are in their 50s and 60s.

Our divinity has been devastated by the decades. I no longer look at my reflection in the mirror. I prefer looking at my shadow, but I quit my job last week for several reasons and one is to regain my girlish figure. The past three days I've been out on the basketball court in near-90 degree heat shooting hoops. I walked around my apartment in the nude. One day and one day soon I'm going to check the mirror and see the shadow of that young man basking in the dying light of a North Sea sunset and say, "Naked as a jaybird."

The same way I came into this life.

Sylt, I'm coming your way.

Achtung, achtung.

The naked man cometh.

Nobody is burying me.

No comments: