Monday, October 1, 2012

Andre The Giant's Posse


Andre the Giant was a legend. His presence in the WWF gave the wrestling federation credibility. This man was bigger than big. The Giant was huge. One night I was working the ropes of Studio 54 and I spotted Andre at the back of the crowd. I opened the ropes and said, "Right this way, Andre."

He smiled and was ushered in with his three guests.

No much of an entourage and later I went inside to buy my idol some drinks, except he was surrounded by hundreds of people. I signaled the bartender to cover his drinks. Afterward he showed me the bill.

Forty beers.

"Only for him." The bartender explained and I tore up the slip.

The Giant drank for free.

His following was massive in his heyday, but recently I was surprised to hear that a graffiti artist from Providence RI had tagged numerous cities with the words ANDRE THE GIANT HAS A POSSE. Supposedly this phrase was very popular with graffiti artists and skateboarders. I'm sure that Andre's Ghost would approve this expansion of identity, even if the Giant traveled solo.

We are Andre's Posse.

No comments: